Dear Parents, Students, Administration, and Staff, I am excited to share some of the following highlights in the area of curriculum and instruction for the 2016-2017 school year.
• The ELA curriculum in grades 6-12 and our Social Studies curriculum grades K-8 are two of the areas of focus this year. There were many meetings held where the team collaborated on goals and discussed resources needed to meet those goals. Trainings for teachers on new textbooks were held in May and again in August. Throughout the 2016-2017 school year, the team will review the next cycle of textbook series upgrades for K-5 ELA and 6-12 Science.
• As a District, we will focus on measuring standards that are included in our curriculum maps K-12. Assessing the standards will be an area of focus this year, as well as, reviewing our curriculum/instructional strategies, and homework/assessment tools in order to evaluate and improve the achievement of students with different abilities as they work to achieve meeting and exceeding grade level standards.
• We want to further maximize the benefit of small group instruction and to make the best use of the vast resources from the Reading Street Program in order to enhance student learning at the elementary level, while including more small group instruction in general at the Jr. /Sr. High School level.
• We will continue to collaborate with local college representatives and explore a multitude of career path opportunities in an effort to establish programs that help our students succeed and gain the career skills needed after graduation.
• We also examined the schedules and put supports in place to ensure all hours of every day are meaningful to every student as we work towards increasing achievement. In order to differentiate instruction in any classroom K-12, we will support teachers by providing monthly trainings on the PVAAS system and time to collect valuable data on individual students. It is critical for teachers to see where students have strengths or weaknesses in core subjects. Achieving proficient or advanced status is where we want to see all students be. We want to see growth in all areas.
• Trainings on how to utilize the Chrome books and PVAAS to their fullest potential will also be a focus throughout this school year. As always, our Tech Lead Teachers, SHIELD Support, and MTSS Teams will be an extremely valuable resource to the district.
I am truly looking forward to a successful 2016-2017 school year! Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at any time.
With Spartan Pride,
Kimberly M. Groody
None at this time